Last Friday my husband's Sunday School Class came for a Christmas Party. We had fun making snowman candles, playing games, eating pizza and treats, playing a gift exchange game, and having a devotion from God's Word.
Our devotions included the following points:
- Christmas is a time to give, but also
- a time to think about "the gift" (Jesus)
- the best gift - the most valuable
- the most needed gift - 1 John 5:12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
- the most enduring John 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
- Jesus gave to the undeserving - ungodly Romans 5:6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
- Jesus gave to His enemies Colossians 1:21 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled
- We are unable to repay Him for this gift. (Rom 5:6)
- Not grudgingly - 2 Corinthians 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
- not to be seen of men - Matthew 6:1 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
- not to those we hope to receive back from
- but to those in need
- Just thinking or even talking about it does not meet the need, or imitate Christ - James 2:16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?