Don’t waste your money on sweetened condensed milk. You can easily make your own. I just made some for a coconut cake that I am making for hubby for Father’s Day!
Easy Coconut Cream Cake (very good and very moist!)
- 1 box white cake mix (I used coconut oil when adding oil to the mix)
- 1 can sweetened cond. Milk
- 1 can cream of coconut
- 1 bag coconut flakes ( I did not use whole bag of coconut. Use at your own discretion.)
- 1 large container of cool whip
- (opt.) conf. sugar
-Bake cake, adding ½ bag of coconut flakes. Let cool completely.
-Punch holes with handle of wooden spoon along cake about ½ inch apart
-Mix can of cream of coconut and sweetened condensed milk and pour evenly over the top of the cake.
-In same bowl mix entire container of cool whip and rest of coconut flakes. Can also add in confectioners sugar if desired. (better this way in my opinion, it makes a much yummier frosting.)
-Spread evenly over cake. Refrigerate immediately.
How to make sweetened condensed milk:
- 1 c. instant nonfat dry milk
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 1/3 c. boiling water
- 3 tbsp. butter
Beat all ingredients together. Process in blender until smooth and store in refrigerator. Makes 1 1/4 cups or the equivalent of 1 can.
- Store your nonfat dry milk in the freezer. If you don’t use it that often, like myself, it will keep much longer this way.