Psalms 101:1-8 <<A Psalm of David.>> I will sing of mercy and judgment: unto thee, O LORD, will I sing. I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart. I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me. A froward heart shall depart from me: I will not know a wicked person. Whoso privily slandereth his neighbour, him will I cut off: him that hath an high look and a proud heart will not I suffer. Mine eyes shall be upon the faithful of the land, that they may dwell with me: he that walketh in a perfect way, he shall serve me. He that worketh deceit shall not dwell within my house: he that telleth lies shall not tarry in my sight. I will early destroy all the wicked of the land; that I may cut off all wicked doers from the city of the LORD.
Some “I wills” that David purposed to do:
- I will sing of mercy and judgment – Be thankful for God’s mercy every day and be thankful for His judgment when you sin.
- I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way – Is my life obedient to the Lord continually?
- I will walk within my house with a perfect heart – Do those within my house see me the same as others see me in public or in church? My Christianity ought to be it’s very best before those in my household.
- I will set no wicked thing before my eyes – What are you looking at? What is on that TV, computer, magazine rack, etc.? Oh, be careful little eyes what you see for the Father up above is looking down in love, so be careful little eyes what you see.
- I will not know a wicked person – who do you keep company with? Yes, we need to reach the world with the gospel, but wicked people should not be our regular company or influence.
- I will cut off the proud and the slanderer – Keep yourself away from proud people and from those who seek to destroy others with their words.
These “I wills” are good food for thought and things that we should resolve to do daily.