Skip to main content

October Happenings and More

October Happenings:

October has come and gone and the holidays are upon us. I do the love the holidays with all the family get togethers. Families are so special especially these days when our families and our country is falling apart before our very eyes!
I have enjoyed Addie coming each week. But when it is time for her to go home she is ready! She is still her Mama's baby and enjoys that! She can sure come up with some funny things. She told me that her mom does not like it when she pees because only dogs pee on their beds. She also said that her daddy is her handsome boy. That is a neat way for daughters to see their fathers and probably comes from hearing their mothers say that. How important to have a right relationship with your spouse in front of your children.


My first practice recital went well. It was quite stress free. I held it in the day time with no thought or concern about having refreshments or making a real big deal about it. Any parents or friends who wanted could come and listen as the children played. They all did a good job. What a blessing to work with these children and be able to relate to them the gift of music that the Lord has given to us.

Mel III is teaching at the rescue mission every week. He loves this and loves working with these people. The Lord blesses him for it. He and some others have started witnessing on Sunday afternoon in Shelby and he plans to start a Bible study soon

Mel got a side job to put in a heating and air unit for a church in the area. This was a blessing as he has not had many jobs lately. But the Lord provides our needs continually.



Mel and I went to GA to visit his mom this month. We enjoyed that very much. And I survived the trip through Atlanta! Whew! We were also delighted to eat Sunday dinner with my brother Steve and his wife Joy and daughter, Andrea. Even though it was just a couple of hours we enjoyed the sweet fellowship.

We then went on to Charleston, SC and enjoyed a couple days of relaxation. We visited the USS Yorktown which took us a whole day. The next day we visited the Rhett-Aikin house, an old house in Charleston, and also walked part way up the suspension bridge over the Ashley River. I got a little queezy near the top and wanted to go back. But it was enjoyable. We were thankful again for traveling mercies.













I made my first loaf of bread in the crock pot. I had read about this somewhere and wanted to try it. It came out perfect and was so easy. This is a whole wheat yeast bread. I did not have to let the dough rise first. I just put it in the pan and cooked for 3 hours. Below is the recipe.



Whole Wheat Bread
3 c whole wheat flour divided
2 c warm milk (can use 2% for lower fat version)
1 c all purpose flour
1/4 c honey
2 T vegetable oil
1 pkg. active dry yeast
3/4 t salt


Directions:
  • Makes 8-10 servings
  • Prepare 1-qt. casserole or other high sided baking pan that will fit into your crock pot. (my regular loaf pan fit. I set it on top of a very small pan to balance it) Coat the pan with non stick spray and set aside
  • Combine 1 1/2 c whole wheat flour, milk, 1/2 c all purpose flour, honey, oil, yeast, and salt in large bowl. Add remaining 1 1/2 c whole wheat flour and 1/4 c all purpose flour until dough is not longer sticky. Transfer to casserole or pan.
  • Place casserole or pan in crock pot. Cover, cook on HIGH 3 hours or until edges are browned.
  • Let stand 5 minutes.
  • Enjoy!
I also made Mel an apple cake. This is the second one I made and it is so yummy. I have to stay away from it or I will eat too much. I am not much of a cake fan, but this one is good. We are still enjoyed the apples we order from the Fresh Market. They are nearly gone now, but have lasted a good while. Below is the recipe for the Apple Cake. I have seen this recipe in several places. You won't be disappointed if you try it.
Apple Cake
  • 3 c all purpose flour
  • 2 c gran. sugar
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 3 beaten eggs
  • 1 c cooking oil
  • 1/2 c apple juice
  • 2 t vanilla
  • 3 c finely chopped cooking apples
  • 1 c chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
  • 1 c packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 c butter
  • 1/3 c whipping cream
  1. Grease and flour 13x9 baking pan, set aside. In large mixing bowl combine flour, gran. sugar, bak. soda and salt. In another bowl combine eggs, oil apple juice, vanilla, apples and nuts. Add egg mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. Spread batter in prepared pan.
  2. Bake in 350 degree oven for about 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan.
  3. For sauce: In a small saucepan combine brown sugar, butter, and cream. Cook and stir over med heat until just bubbly and all the sugar is dissolved. Cool slightly. Drizzle warm sauce over cake. (I poked holes in my cake for sauce to seep into better) Serves 20.
  4. ENJOY! Mmm Mmm Good!



We celebrated JD's 2nd birthday last night. His birthday was actually on the 8th, but his other grandparents were here this week to see the new baby and their son and daughter and JD too, so we celebrated last night while everyone was here. That was a fun time to be with everyone.









Devotion Time:
I often start by saying "Speak Lord, for thy servant heareth". Now I have begun saying, Lord help me to be a servant and help me to hear for a true servant will be a doer of the Word and not just a hearer.
I have been reading the gospels lately and have enjoyed using My Morning Manna by Ed Nelson.
As I read Luke 12-13 today I was reminded that I need to lay up treasures in heaven and be watching and ready for the return of the Lord!



THOTS:
  • As I think about motherhood, I was wondering how many mothers (even Christian mothers) are like Jezebels and they discourage their children in things of the Lord. It may have been their children would have done something "great" for the Lord, but because the mother led them differently, they never followed the Lord. May be that is why the mother of kings are mentioned so often and the shame of the mother in Proverbs. What an influence we can have on our children. I had especially thought of a young man that I know very well. It was very interested in spiritual things, but his mother discouraged him. It may have been that he would have gone a different direction if his mother had encouraged him.

  • In Matthew 9:18-19, Jesus followed someone to help them with a need. It amazes me to think that Jesus, the Son of God would follow me in order to help me! Jesus, who is God, cares about individuals. God, my creator, cares about me! So why don't I come to Him more often to find rest for my soul!

  • Some new Christians are choked by thorns (Luke 8:7) Can it be that I or others in the church are often those "thorns" which choke out their new life rather than watering it and giving it the food it needs to grow!

  • We often talk of Peter's blundering statements on the Mount of Transfiguration, but on the other hand 1) he left himself and the others disciples out when asking for the tabernacles - do I put myself last? 2) The cloud that came was "bright" (Mt. 17:5) "Clouds that come to the Christian are actually bright clouds meant to bring us into the presence of Jesus alone. Someday all the clouds will be gone and we will be with Him in glory. Until then, let's glorify Him in our lives and listen to His voice" (taken from Our Morning Manna by Ed Nelson Vol. I)



  • My tongue can only be tamed by the power of the Holy Spirit. Am I letting Him control it? Are the Words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart acceptable in His sight? (Ps. 19:14) I can use my tongue to discourage or encourage, tear down or build up, boast or be silent in humility, sass or respect, talk filthy or talk fitly, exaggerate or be honest, and the list could go on. What a strong member the tongue is for being so small!


  • Do I love the Lord more than wealth, fame, the world?


  • Am I living as though the Lord may come back today? HE MAY!


  • We know not what hour our soul will be required of the Lord so remember that godliness with contentment is great gain. This is actually all the gain that I need for what will it profit me if I gain the whole world, but lose my soul. Lord, save souls today!








Things I am thankful for:
  • each day the Lord give me
  • energy to do tasks
  • the privilege of being God's child
  • the mighty power of God
  • seeing my children and grandchildren in church for each service
  • talking with Jeremy on the phone
  • sunshine after clouds and warm fall weather
  • pansies in my garden
  • the freedom we still have to teach the Scriptures
  • my Bible
  • my family
  • traveling mercies - my kids are on the road continually for their jobs, Mel is often on the road, Jeremy travels miles and miles while on deputation
  • the material items the Lord has allowed us to have - may they be used for His glory!



Today's Meditations:
Luke 12:31 But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you
Luke 12:34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Luke 12:37 Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching:
Luke 12:40 Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just For Fun–Gift Card Giveaway

This Giveaway is Closed. Thanks to All who entered. The winner is Princess Mom CONGRATULATIONS! I am going to try something just for fun. I have been given a gift code for CSN Stores. CSN stores has over 200 shopping sites with a wide selection of goods. They offered me a $20 gift code for putting up the post on pendant lighting . (Now, how many of you wondered why I wrote a post like that? Now you know!) I am always happy to get free money. The gift code was given to me to keep or giveaway. Well, I would like one happy reader to win this code and use it the way they would like. Due to CSN terms and conditions, this code will not cover international fees. US and Canada only are eligible to enter. And you must be 18 or older. To be honest I have never shopped at the CSN stores , but I did go and look to see what could be found for $20. The best deals I found were in the toy and game section . If you are a winner you might want to go there or maybe you are better at sea

50 Reasons Why I Love the Lord

I recently had a birthday, but more important is my spiritual birthday.  I am so thankful to be born again. This is my 50th year in the Lord!  To think that the Lord saved me and keeps me is beyond my comprehension!  I am so filled with awe and gratitude to my Lord!  Since this is my 50th year to be saved,  I wrote down 50 reasons why I love Him.  It was not a hard task.  There are so many reasons to love the Lord.  I cannot think of one reason why the Lord would want to love me, but I am so thankful that He does.  He only is our HOPE. I have been so overwhelmed with the Lord's love for me that I felt like I needed to share it with others.  If you don't know the Lord, please don't delay.  You will never regret His love for you. He first loved me. He sent His only begotten son to die in my place. He forgives all my sin He saved me by His shed blood He has never left nor forsaken me. He is ever merciful and His mercies are new every morning. He gives grace

Which Would You Choose?

Should I get a dog? 2. OR………………………………………… Should I have children?